The Urakami family was a samurai class family that expanded its power over the Harima, Bizen and Mimasaka domains from the Muromachi period through the Warring States period. They were also a family of culture that produced the renowned ink painters Urakami Gyokudô and his two sons Shunkin and Shûkin.
The Urakami Family History Editorial Committee is striving to encourage a deeper understanding of Urakami family history as well as the arts of Gyokudô and his sons, with the intention of publishing the results in a History of the Urakami Family. In addition to scholarly investigations related to Urakami family history and the arts of Gyokudô and his sons, the Committee is also creating its own programming such as exhibitions on the arts of Gyokudô and his sons.
This website has been developed to inform an even wider audience about Urakami Gyokudô and Urakami family history. We hope that information provided here will be the first step in a greater understanding of the life and contributions of Gyokudô and his sons and the Urakami family in general.
- HATA Kazuyoshi, former member of the Historical Materials Archives, Kurashiki city
- ITAKURA Masaaki, Professor, Institute for Advanced Studies on Asia, University of Tokyo
- KAWANOBE Yasunao, Specialist Curator, Fukushima Museum
- MATSUOKA Seigow, Director, Editorial Engineering Laboratory and Principal, ISIS editing school
- MORIYASU Osamu, Director, Okayama Prefectural Museum of Art and Professor, Kibi International University
- OJIMA Osamu, Director, Tsuyama City Museum
- OOHARA Ken’ichirô, President, Ohara Museum of Art
- SAKATA Shin’ichi, qin master, composer, and arranger and scholar of Asian and Western classical music
- SHIMATANI Hiroyuki, Executive Director, Kyushu National Museum
- TAKAHASHI Hiromi, Ph.D. Professor Emeritus, Kinjo Gakuin University
- TAKASHINA Shûji, Director, Ohara Museum of Art
- URAKAMI Noriyuki, direct descendant of the Urakami family, President, Hinode, Ltd.
- YOSHIMASU Gôzô, poet
[Japanese names appear on this website in traditional family name first word order, i. e., Suzuki Taro, with Suzuki the family name. Western names appear in standard English word order, i. e., Joe Smith, with Smith the family name.]
- October 5, 2013, Public lecture, “The Family of Urakami Gyokudô,” held
at the Okayama Prefectural Museum of Art (Okayama city, Okayama prefecture)
- November 16, 2013, Urakami Gyokudô symposium held at the Ohara Museum of Art
(Kurashiki, Okayama prefecture)
- November 16–17, 2013, Special Exhibition, Works by Urakami Gyokudô, Shunkin and Shûkin,
held at Yûrinsô (Kurashiki, Okayama prefecture)
- June 1, 2014, publication of the 2013 Urakami Gyokudô Symposium Proceedings
- June 7, 2014, Exhibition to commemorate publication of the 2013 Urakami Gyokudô
Symposium Proceedings held at London Gallery, Shirokane (Minato-ku, Tokyo)
- January 24–25, 2015, Screening of Yoshimasu Gôzô’s film GozoCiné ‘Urakami Gyokudô: His
Spirit’s Hand…Blood Drops' at the Hajimari Art Center (Inawashiro, Fukushima prefecture)
- August 1, 2016, Urakami Gyokudô website inaugurated
The Urakami Family History Editorial Committee Office
HINODE, Ltd. 3-10-6 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan 107-0052
There may be a delay in our response to your query. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Any personal information received in contact from you will be used only in response to your query.